The answer is that you will be required to have each of your vehicles inspected once every two years.
When you receive your DMV renewal from the state they will indicate whether you are required to have your car tested for emissions. If so, you normally have a month or two to get it done.
Renewal of DMV fees can be done in person or at the DMV.
For a list of DMV locations in Arizona, click here.
Which vehicles are exempt from the testing requirements?
- Most model year 2007 or newer, except reconstructed, vehicles
- Most model year 2009 or newer original equipment alternative fuel vehicles
- Model year 1966 and older vehicles
- Vehicles designated as “collectible” (requires collectible vehicle insurance, reported to Arizona Motor Vehicle Division by insurer)
- Electric powered, golf carts or vehicles with engine displacement of less than 90cc
- Motorcycles registered in the Tucson metropolitan area
- Apportioned vehicles (licensed in more than one state)
- Vehicles leased to a person residing outside the emission control areas
- Vehicles transferred between dealers (wholesale)